Clover Pink Moon Kashmiri Chai
Check out this Clover Pink Moon Milk Kashmiri Chai recipe written by Zainab Shah in Sunset Magazine!
1 ½ cups water
3 tbsp Kashmiri tea leaves or green tea leaves
5 whole cardamom pods
5 whole star anise
3 cinnamon sticks
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups ice water
2 cups Clover Pink Moon
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp sugar (optional)
2 tsp crushed pistachios
2 tsp crushed almonds
1 tbsp jamaica flowers
- 1Prepare your ice water so that by the time you are making your tea, there are no cubes left. Set aside.
- 2In a medium saucepan, bring 1 ½ cups of room-temperature water to a boil on high heat.
- 3Add the tea leaves, cardamom pods, star anise, cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
- 4Once the mix is boiling, add the baking soda. The mixture should begin to froth a bit; this is normal.
- 5Reduce the heat to medium, and aerate the tea using a ladle, scooping some liquid and pouring it back into the saucepan from a height of 3 to 4 inches.
- 6Continue cooking on medium high heat until the liquid is reduced to half, about 10 to 12 minutes. This is when the mixture should turn a pink hue. If it hasn’t, add a pinch more baking soda.
- 7Add the ice water, and continue aerating with the ladle for a few minutes. Add the milk, salt, and sugar if you’re using it, and simmer for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until warmed through.
- 8Do not overheat, as this will tarnish the pink color.
- 9Strain the Kashmiri chai into four cups using a sieve or coffee filter.
- 10Garnish with pistachios, almonds, and jamaica flowers and enjoy!