Butter Me Up: A Simple, Luscious Appetizer!
Let’s be honest.
We love butter. It falls in the ‘comfort food’ category. Butter makes crusts flakey, and gives baked goods a richness and texture that is unmatched by substitutes. As a topping, it elevates mashed potatoes and warm bread to heavenly heights.
Creamy, soft, and lusciously silky on the tongue … have you ever secretly wanted to just eat it raw? Good quality butter, like our Clover conventional, organic, and lactose free options, is much more than a condiment in this decadent but simple appetizer. It’s the star!
This simple recipe for Flower and Herb Butter comes from the cookbook, Six Seasons: A New Way with Vegetables, by chef/restauranteurs Josh McFadden and Martha Holmberg. They’ve used butter as a palette for a mixture of herbs and edible flowers (experiment with what’s in season), served on toasted baguette slices or crackers. We tested this with our Lactose Free Salted and Unsalted Butters with delicious results!
It’s not for the faint of heart, but it will become an instant favorite in your recipe repertoire.
- 1 stick Clover Unsalted Lactose Free Butter (at room temperature)
- a mixture of chopped, fresh herbs–thyme, dill, Italian parsley, oregano, & rosemary are all good choices but feel free to play)
- 1 green onion with top, sliced thin
- edible flower petals (anise hyssop, marigold, pansies, calendula, nasturtium, and borage are all wonderful)
- good quality flake sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- assorted optional add-ons: red chili flakes, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, cracked coriander seeds
- sliced baguette (fresh or toasted) or a selection of artisan crackers
- 1Use a large flat spatula to smear softened butter 1/8" to 1/4" thickness across a platter (marble, wood or black slate all look gorgeous!)
- 2Scatter chopped herbs generously over the surface of the butter, along with green onion and flower petals. Finish with a light pinch of sea salt flakes (Maldon brand is wonderful), and fresh cracked pepper, and optional chili flakes/ seeds of choice.
- 3Serve with baguette slices or crackers.