Sour Cream Recipes
Sour cream is versatile. Mixed with chopped, fresh chives, it raises a humble baked potato to culinary excellence.
Unlike gravies or sauces, all it takes is a tablespoon or two atop spinach quesadillas to add savory depth to the wedges of flour tortilla filled with the greens, cheddar cheese and mushrooms.
Add a cup to our recipe for walnut sour cream coffee cake, and you create a treat that will become central to breakfast and brunch celebrations for years to come. But what can truly make your cooking and baking distinctive is to prepare your own super fresh, homemade sour cream. It’s easy; simply follow our recipe below to learn how to make your own.
How to Make Homemade Sour Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
Clover Walnut Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs or 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1Making the Homemade Sour Cream
- 2Equipment: 1-pint jar with lid; small bowl; wooden spoon; measuring cup for liquids
- 3Mix the milk and vinegar in the bowl and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- 4Pour the cream into the jar, then add the milk mixture and stir.
- 5Place the lid on the jar.
- 6Let it stand for 24 hours unrefrigerated.
- 7Place the jar in your refrigerator
- 8Time for the Walnut Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 9Mix dry batter ingredients in medium bowl.
- 10In second small bowl, beat eggs and fold in oil and sour cream until smooth.
- 11Blend wet ingredients into dry batter ingredients.
- 12Pour half the batter into pan and cover with half the topping/filling.
- 13Cover with remaining batter, then top with nut mixture.
- 14Melt Tbsp. of butter and drizzle over topping before baking.