Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Photos and words by: Karen Pavone
Want to make your little bunnies a healthier treat that will have them hopping for joy this spring?
You can’t miss when you whip up a batch of these yummy Carrot Cake Cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting “nests”. These lightly spiced gems are so delicious and moist your family won’t be able to resist them (and your kids won’t know they’re eating carrots).
We use fresh Clover Organic Pasture Raised Eggs to add a little protein, and Clover Organic Cream Cheese and butter to make the creamiest, dreamiest topping ever.
You can decorate them in a snap by piping circles of cream cheese frosting on top, then adding a sprinkle of green “jimmies” and a trio of miniature candy eggs (jelly beans work great!).
Bake some up in under an hour for your child’s school party or family Easter celebration. Big and small, all your favorite bunnies will go wild for them!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated fresh organic carrots
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted (can substitute canola oil if desired)
- 2 Clover Organic Pasture Raised Eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces Clover Organic Cream Cheese
- 4 tablespoons Clover Organic Butter, unsalted & softened at room temperature
- 2+ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Candy Sprinkles (green Jimmies or color of choice)
- jelly beans or miniature candy eggs
- 1 : Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2 : In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- 3 : In a large mixing bowl, mix the grated carrots and the oil. Slowly add the flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Add the beaten eggs and stir until just incorporated. *Do not over mix.
- 4 : Bake on the center oven rack for 15 minutes. Check for *doneness and bake longer if needed. *Use a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake to test doneness (should come out clean of batter. If not, bake for a few minutes more). Remove from oven to a baking rack to cool.
- 5 : For Frosting: Place the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a mixing bowl, and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar.
- 6 : For Frosting: Transfer to a large ziplock bag (snip a small hole in one bottom corner) or a pastry bag, and pipe the frosting in circles on top of the cooled cupcakes, leaving an indentation in the center. Sprinkle with green Jimmies to create a "nest" and place candy eggs on top.