Clo’s Buttery Shortbread Cookies
Who doesn’t love milk and cookies? This dipping duo is a natural! When the craving strikes, our recipe for Buttery Shortbread Cookies, made with Clover Eurpoean Style Butter, is our go-to favorite.
We know a thing or two about making butter. It was our very first product back in 1916, and families have been enjoying the decadent, creamy taste ever since. Our European Style Butter starts with slow churned fresh Clover cream in small batches (like Europeans have done for centuries), to make a butter prized by bakers for its high butterfat content and intense, rich flavor. It makes the flakiest pie crusts and the most delicious cookies!
Great for holiday gifting and easy enough to make with kids, these buttery Scottish Shortbread cookies are so addictive we dare you to eat just one! And don’t forget to enjoy them with an ice cold glass of Clover Organic Milk.
Prep Time1 hour; Bake time 17-20 minutes (makes 3 doz large or 6 doz small cookies)
- 3/4 pound unsalted Clover European Style Butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 : In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until they are just combined. Add the vanilla and mix briefly.
- 2 : In a separate medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
- 3 : Gradually add flour mixture to the butter-and-sugar mixture, while mixing on low speed, until the dough starts to come together. It will be crumbly.
- 4 : Dump the dough onto a pastry cloth dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk about 2” in height. Wrap in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- 5 : While the dough chills, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 6 : Place the dough back on the flour-dusted pastry cloth, and roll out to a 1/2-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
- 7 : Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. *Watch carefully or they will burn.
- 8 : Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Enjoy with a glass of Clover Organic Milk!
- 9 : *original recipe by The Barefoot Contessa