Cloconut Custard Pie
Who wants a slice of pie? If you (like us) can’t resist the temptation to indulge in this all-American dessert, then you’re in luck.
We pulled out all the stops to celebrate National Pie Day in legendairy Clover style with this signature recipe for Cloconut Custard Pie.
Reminiscent of the old-fashioned classic your grandma used to bake, our version is made with Clover Organic Milk, cage-free brown eggs, and butter topped with a generous dollop of Clover Organic Whipping Cream. It comes out of the oven golden brown, creamy, and brimming with coconut.
It’s delicious served warm or cold with a big glass of Clover Organic Milk. We think grandma would approve!
Cloconut Custard Pie (serves 8)
- 1 cup grated unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup Clover Organic Milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons All-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 large Clover Cage-free Brown Eggs + 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons Clover Organic Butter, melted
- 1 unbaked 9” pie shell
- ground nutmeg (optional)
- 3/4 cup Clover Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 : In a medium-size bowl, soak coconut in milk for one hour.
- 2 : In another medium mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the 2 whole eggs plus the additional egg yolk with an electric mixer. Add the coconut/milk mixture and vanilla to the beaten eggs.
- 3 : Add the dry ingredients to the milk mixture and mix well. Add butter and mix to combine.
- 4 : Preheat oven to 375F.
- 5 : Roll out the unbaked pie shell dough and place in your pie pan.
- 6 : Beat the remaining egg white until frothy and brush on the bottom and sides of the unbaked pie shell. (Note: This helps keep the crust from getting soggy.)
- 7 : Gently pour the custard mixture into the unbaked pie shell. Top with a couple shakes of nutmeg if desired. Bake on the center oven rack for 25-30 minutes.
- 8 : Watch the crust and cover the edges with foil if it starts to get too brown. The custard will be jiggly from the oven, but will firm as it cools.
- 9 : Place warm pie on a rack to cool. Before serving, beat the heavy whipping cream with one tablespoon sugar until stiff peaks form. Slice and serve the pie with a dollop of whipped cream.