Clo’s Ice Cream Birthday Cake
What’s a birthday without cake? A cow-tastrophy!
Celebrating Clo’s big 50th birthday calls for more than ordinary cake. Since nothing but the best will do for our beloved bovine mascot, we pulled out all the stops to create a cow-lossal dessert befitting the auspicious occasion: a Clover Ice Cream Cake!
Now if you haven’t tried making an ice cream cake at home don’t worry. While it does take time it’s not difficult, and we think you’ll find the finished dessert is more delicious than store bought versions.
As a base, we used a prepared white cake mix speckled with colorful funfetti baked right in for an extra festive touch. Then we sandwiched a thick layer of softened Clover Sweet Cream Ice Cream between the cake layers, and topped it with whipped ice cream “frosting”. A generous sprinkle of rainbow jimmies provides the perfect finishing touch.
All you need is candles!
But the true test of any recipe is in the taste, and Clo gives this cake two enthusiastic hooves up! We know you’re going to love it too.
Prep Time1 day
– (1) 9” springform pan
-(1) 15.25oz white cake mix (we used Betty Crocker Delights Party Rainbow Chip)
-1 cup water
-1/2 cup vegetable oil
-(2) 1.5 quarts Clover Sweet Cream Ice Cream
-1 6.25 oz. rainbow jimmies sprinkles
- 1 : Mix and bake cake in the springform pan according to package directions. Cool completely.
- 2 : Loosen springform pan and slice cake crosswise into two halves. Tip: Use a long piece of dental floss wrapped around the cake and pulled through to cut the cake neatly and evenly.
- 3 : Place one half cake upside down in the bottom of the springform pan. Scoop very soft ice cream into the pan over the cake, and smooth evenly over the top (about 1 1/2” thickness).
- 4 : Place the other half of the cake upside down on top of the ice cream layer. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and freeze for several hours.
- 5 : Remove springform pan from frozen cake. Soften 4 cups of ice cream in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. It should be thick like frosting. Pour on top and smooth over with a spatula. Decorate sides and top with jimmies sprinkles.
- 6 : Freeze overnight without plastic wrap.
- 7 : Slice, serve and party ‘till the cows come home!