Clo’s Buttermilk Biscuits
Few comfort foods rival homemade buttermilk biscuits fresh from the oven!
These fluffy golden-brown puffs of deliciousness are a great addition to any meal. Our simple seven ingredient recipe (*adapted from Cooks Illustrated) can be whipped up in no time. Even those who consider themselves non-bakers can pull this together like a seasoned pro. Serve them warm with a generous pat of Clover Organic Butter, honey, or a spoonful of your favorite jam and get ready to swoon.
Prep TimeYields: 8 Biscuits
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 : Preheat oven to 475°F and adjust oven rack to center position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2 : Pour buttermilk into a glass measuring cup and put in the freezer for 10 minutes while prepping other ingredients.
- 3 : Place butter in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with a paper towel to prevent spattering and heat on high for 30 seconds. If not completely melted, continue to microwave in 10 second intervals until melted. Set aside to cool.
- 4 : In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt).
- 5 : Remove chilled buttermilk from the freezer and slowly add the melted butter while stirring with a fork. You will see small clumps of butter dispersed through the liquid.
- 6 : Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and blend with a rubber spatula just until all the flour is incorporated and the batter pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough should be stiff and not too wet. *If needed you can mix in more flour, 1 tablespoons at a time, until the dough is fairly stiff.
- 7 : Generously flour a pastry cloth. Place the biscuit dough in the center of the cloth and turn to coat all surfaces with flour.
- 8 : Knead 5-6 times (about 30 seconds).
- 9 : Coat the dough lightly with flour then pat into a circle about 1½-2-inches in height. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to score the dough into eight equal pie wedges.
- 10 : Transfer the biscuits to the lined sheet pan, spacing about 1½ inches apart.
- 11 : Place on the center rack of the oven and bake about 10-15 minutes until tops are golden brown. (start checking them after 10 minutes as oven temperatures may vary). Do not over bake.
- 12 : Serve and enjoy!