Decadent Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
Meg van der Kruik is the writer, mother, photographer, designer, cook and creative spirit behind Beard & Bonnet. After her infant son was diagnosed with a gluten allergy, she dedicated herself to learning to make meals the whole family would love.
I am so excited to be partnering with Clover Organic Farms to bring you these decadent cinnamon rolls! Clover Organic Farms has a rich history here in California that spans back over 100 years! Clover also has a rich history in my fridge as my go-to brand for organic dairy products! I trust them, I trust their products and their passion for doing what’s right for their farms, their cows and their consumers.
There is nothing better than waking up to the smell of cinnamon rolls baking in the oven! I am a big fan of the fact that most of the actual work that goes into creating this recipe can be done the night before with our kids, so no one has to wake up at the crack of dawn to get breakfast on the table! The whole process to make these luscious cinnamon rolls takes a few hours.
Just a friendly FYI: The recipe time reflected here does not take into account the 1 hour 25 minute time this dough needs to rest and rise. Also, I have found that using Press & Seal Wrap for the cling wrap really makes working with the dough easier, because the Press & Seal Wrap sticks to itself making working the dough easier and cleaner!
Prep TimePrep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Serves: 1 dozen
- 1½ cups super fine sweet rice flour, divided
- 1 cup super fine brown rice flour, divided, plus more for dusting countertop
- ½ cup tapioca flour, divided
- ½ cup cornstarch, divided
- 1 teaspoon or guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup Clover Organic Milk
- 1 cup unseasoned mashed potato
- ⅓ cup Clover Organic Salted Butter (5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon), cut into cubes
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup Clover Organic Salted Butter, softened
Vanilla Bean Scented Icing
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 4-6 teaspoons Clover Organic Milk
- 1 : In a large bowl combine ½ cup sweet rice flour, ½ cup brown rice flour, ¼ cup tapioca flour, ¼ cup cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder and the yeast; set aside.
- 2 : In a medium saucepan heat and stir the milk, mashed potato, the ⅓ Clover Organic Salted Butter, granulated sugar and salt just until warm (120° F to 130° F) and the butter is almost melted; add to the flour mixture along with the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl twice. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- 3 : Using a spatula, stir in an additional ½ cup sweet rice, ½ cup brown rice, ¼ cup tapioca and ¼ cup cornstarch until incorporated. Line a clean counter top with 2 sheets of cling wrap slightly overlapping each other. Lightly dust the cling wrap with sweet rice flour then turn the dough out on top of it. The dough will be sticky at this point, sprinkle ¼ cup more sweet rice flour over the top of the dough then use the outside of the cling wrap to help you fold the dough over on top of itself repeatedly until the flour is completely worked into the dough. Repeat this process with the remaining ¼ cup of sweet rice flour.This kneading process will take about 5 minutes.
- 4 : Once all of the flour has been incorporated place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the entire surface of the dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. (45-60 minutes)
- 5 : Line the counter again with 2 large sheets of cling wrap that slightly overlap at the center and sprinkle lightly with sweet rice flour. Punch down the dough. Turn the dough out onto the floured surface then cover and let rest for 10 more minutes.
- 6 : Meanwhile, lightly grease an 8 x 12 x 2-inch pan ( or a 3 quart rectangular baking dish) and set aside. Make the filling by mixing the brown sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl; set aside.
- 7 : Place 2 more sheets of cling wrap on top of the dough, gently press down to flatten then roll the dough into an 18x12-inch rectangle. Spread the ¼ cup softened Clover Organic Salted Butter over the dough. Sprinkle the filling over the butter-spread dough rectangle, leaving 1 inch unfilled along one of the long sides. Roll up the filled rectangle into a spiral, starting from the long side with the filling. Pinch dough to seal seams.
- 8 : Cut the dough spiral into 12 equal pieces. Arrange the pieces, cut sides down, in the prepared baking pan. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and place on the middle rack of your unheated oven; with a bowl of very warm water on the lower rack. Let rise until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- 9 : Remove the pan of rolls from the oven; uncover and set aside. Preheat oven to 375° F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and done in center. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before drizzling rolls with icing. Serve warm.
- 10 : Vanilla Bean Scented Icing In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla bean paste and milk.If the mixture seems too thick add a bit more milk, too thin more sugar. (I tend to double the recipe for the icing so we can really drench our cinnamon rolls in it!)
- 11 : NOTES MAKE-AHEAD: Prepare the Cinnamon Rolls as directed through Step 8, except do not let rise after shaping. Cover loosely with oiled waxed paper, then with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Before baking, let chilled rolls stand, covered, for 30 minutes at room temperature. Uncover and bake as directed.