Gravy. It’s mashed potatoes best friend and one of life’s simple pleasures.
Surprisingly easy to make, our favorite savory condiment adds another layer of delicious flavor to whatever it tops thanks to lots of Clover Organic Unsalted Butter. Pour it generously on turkey, chicken fried steak, stuffing and of course, potatoes!
This basic recipe is perfect as is, or can be easily enhanced by adding different herbs of your choice (think thyme, rosemary or sage). Feel free to experiment and tantalize your taste buds.
- 1/2 cup Clover Organic Unsalted Butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups turkey or chicken pan drippings OR (4) cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) Clover Organic Unsalted Butter over medium-low heat.
- 2Grind in 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper.
- 3Create a roux by slowly whisking in the flour, mixing constantly. After a few minutes, the flour will be incorporated into the butter.
- 4Slowly add the drippings and/or chicken broth, whisking constantly.
- 5Let the gravy thicken by simmering on low heat for several minutes, whisking constantly. Serve immediately, or keep on very low heat until you’re ready to serve.